Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Petrochromis Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Petrochromis tanks, filters, heaters, powerheads, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 AM
TroPhish

::Profile::

Yeah Thanks trophaddict...its the breeding thing that is going to get tricky. I can see that in my group.

I have about 6000 gph in circulation pumps going in 6 ft tank and they are dithered by 40 trophs. Also on a sump with 1200 more gph adding flow. The water is boiling with movement.

But so far so good and they have started to spawn...but I have enough tanks that I can separate them into singles if I need to.

We'll see.

John
Old 05-21-2013, 07:37 AM
SunnyHouTX

Yeah, I had a lot of females drop their vents and the males went nuts. Lost 6 in the span of a couple of days. Then things calmed down. Nothing I could have done would have changed this. Just have to be able to stomach it and keep going.

Edit: males and females were killed in that episode

210 gal Petro. Trewavasae

Last edited by SunnyHouTX; 05-21-2013 at 03:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SunnyHouTX For This Useful Post:
TroPhish (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM
swk

Breeding changes everything in a petro colony. The kid gloves go bye bye
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophAddict View Post
Im just going to say this, I know sunny personally and not taking his side or anything. But he had over 40 Trews in a 210 and **** went south and lost about 6 if recall correctly, all of this happen when they got ready to breed. So in other words just be prepared that even with a large group stuff can happen, so imagine with a small one. And these fish need 5x the water movement that is a tropheus tank just a little fyi.

So are you saying that it's best to have 1 male and bunch of females and also dither fish with a lot of Movement? If the males get killed off anyhow why even put more than one?
Old 05-21-2013, 02:45 PM
waterdog

Keeping: red bulu point,moshi mahale, famula chimba& sangala,fasciolatus nkondwe yellow,

Actually in a closed system, and cichlids almost always with different personalities its hard to have set rules. And when you think you've learned one you best remember it and the fish will always show you exceptions!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM
TroPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
So are you saying that it's best to have 1 male and bunch of females and also dither fish with a lot of Movement? If the males get killed off anyhow why even put more than one?
With trophs people are all crazy about ratios. Might be more important with Petros.

The other males actually take some of the heat off the females. They are kinda the best dither there is.

People breed trophs all the time in groups of pairs or even upside down groups of like 8 males and 5 females.

If you import something like tropheus red belly...and you get an upside down ratio...you roll with it.

The main males goals in life are to breed and to fight. So extra males allow the main male to chase something else besides the female.

Extra males also allow for the chance for an occasional spawning by another male so you have fry from two males.

And an extra male is good to have incase something happens to your main male.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:40 PM
waterdog

Keeping: red bulu point,moshi mahale, famula chimba& sangala,fasciolatus nkondwe yellow,

I have heard that last statement added into a sells pitch, not saying it doesn't have some foundation but not sure if I would buy it.
More males can add more fuel to the fire, at same time its whats in the genes thats The Most Important even some bull dykes(and yes these are in animals too)Kill.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Actually in a closed system, and cichlids almost always with different personalities its hard to have set rules. And when you think you've learned one you best remember it and the fish will always show you exceptions!
This is Exactly the way I feel. There are general guidelines to all species. But there are no "Constants"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
With trophs people are all crazy about ratios. Might be more important with Petros.

The other males actually take some of the heat off the females. They are kinda the best dither there is.

People breed trophs all the time in groups of pairs or even upside down groups of like 8 males and 5 females.

If you import something like tropheus red belly...and you get an upside down ratio...you roll with it.

The main males goals in life are to breed and to fight. So extra males allow the main male to chase something else besides the female.

Extra males also allow for the chance for an occasional spawning by another male so you have fry from two males.

And an extra male is good to have incase something happens to your main male.
Ratios are an important thing to a point. But it deosn't mean that you can't have a productive colony without ratios of 1:2... it just means that the colony may be slower at producing fry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
I have heard that last statement added into a sells pitch, not saying it doesn't have some foundation but not sure if I would buy it.
More males can add more fuel to the fire, at same time its whats in the genes thats The Most Important even some bull dykes(and yes these are in animals too)Kill.
On the same note though, if a Dominant male Petro feels overworked in a large or even tightly kept colony, keeping other males away from the spawn territory, they may see it more productive to kill some off just to feel less busy and be able to focus more on spawning. As has been stated already in this thread. overstocking might work well for Trophs but it seems that overstocking for petros is best with Dithers. At least from what is being said. My trews don't chase any of my Kasanga Around the tank... Just the male chasing the females on a occassion.

I don't really think that the main purpose of the males is to Spawn and Kill. It's more along the lines of soley passing on their own Genetics. And this may end up with casualties from time to time If in the right environment.

but look at the all of the giant speceies being kept in 6-8ft tanks... This size and level of Aggression of a Species should honestly be kept in something like a 12-15ft x 4ft x 3ft tank with a good 20 others+ of the same species to be in proportion to the size and aggression level of a a group of Trophs being Kept in a 4-6ft tank. but that's not the case. So as long as I have some others in that 110g it "should" According the practices on this site, be appropriate.

But like it seems with many if not all other cases on this site, I'll just have to test and tune.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM
TroPhish

Quote:

I don't really think that the main purpose of the males is to Spawn and Kill. It's more along the lines of soley passing on their own Genetics. And this may end up with casualties from time to time If in the right environment.
How do you insure that only your genetics are passed on?
Spawn and kill all other that may sneak one in on you.

How do you reduce the Kill factor?
Make it so many competitors that kill is less likely to occur and fight and chase become the reality.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 PM
SunnyHouTX

Quote:
but look at the all of the giant speceies being kept in 6-8ft tanks... This size and level of Aggression of a Species should honestly be kept in something like a 12-15ft x 4ft x 3ft tank with a good 20 others+ of the same species to be in proportion to the size and aggression level of a a group of Trophs being Kept in a 4-6ft tank.
With what personal experience are you making this statement?

210 gal Petro. Trewavasae