Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Petrochromis Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Petrochromis tanks, filters, heaters, powerheads, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:50 AM
Mastiffman
Banned

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
How do you insure that only your genetics are passed on?
Spawn and kill all other that may sneak one in on you.

How do you reduce the Kill factor?
Make it so many competitors that kill is less likely to occur and fight and chase become the reality.
Passing on "only" their genetics is not what is going on. They are trying to pass on their genes solely. Thats all and while trying to make this happen, fights break out. And because of instinctual persistence one of them has to be stop disrupting the other from passing on their genes and unfortunately they get killed because of limited places to hide.

So im other words, being so large ans aggressive people keeping them in such small confined tanks is more the reason that another gets killed. Not because they want to murder all other males trying to pass genes on.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 AM
SunnyHouTX

Dude, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about... you're just making hypothetical conclusions based on god knows what. I have 22 BG and 26 Moshi in my 450 without hiding places and I only lost one, not sure if it was due to illness or aggression. There has been all out war in there with ZERO loss. Please stop.

210 gal Petro. Trewavasae
Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 AM
TroPhish

Hey Sunny,

How big are your blue giants now. Im sure theyve grown with all that flow and the big water changes. Are they 12inch plus? how big can they get?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:16 AM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
Dude, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about... you're just making hypothetical conclusions based on god knows what. I have 22 BG and 26 Moshi in my 450 without hiding places and I only lost one, not sure if it was due to illness or aggression. There has been all out war in there with ZERO loss. Please stop.

Really? Every heard of Ethology? It's actually "Science that knows what"...

"All out war"? It's obviously Not all out war if there were zero losses. And proving my point... YOU Sir have a Bigger tank that a 180 gallon don't you? Why didn't you just stick with a 6ft 180 gallon?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:22 AM
SunnyHouTX

Quote:
Hey Sunny,

How big are your blue giants now. Im sure theyve grown with all that flow and the big water changes. Are they 12inch plus? how big can they get?
There's around 8 including a couple of females that are 10", and the alpha is almost 11", in real terms. They were imported as 12" - 14" fish LOL. I'll have to see how big they really get.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Mastiffman
Banned

Quote:
There's around 8 including a couple of females that are 10", and the alpha is almost 11", in real terms. They were imported as 12" - 14" fish LOL. I'll have to see how big they really get.

Where did you get them from?
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 AM
SunnyHouTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Really? Every heard of Ethology? It's actually "Science that knows what"...

"All out war"? It's obviously Not all out war if there were zero losses. And proving my point... YOU Sir have a Bigger tank that a 180 gallon don't you? Why didn't you just stick with a 6ft 180 gallon?
Ethology goes out the window when fish are in a glass cage.

Hey, you're the one who said my 450 was too small for my fish. Pick what you wanna gripe about and stick with it. BTW, if I had the fish the OP has, I'd have no problem sticking them in a 180.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:29 AM
SunnyHouTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Where did you get them from?
He's not a sponsor here, so his name can't be mentioned apparently.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 AM
TroPhish

IMO hiding places sometimes encourage a fish to get singled out. He may get nipped once and then goes to hide. he then is easy to spot...easy to keep up with. He no longer is one amongst many. His weakness is easy to pick out. Sure he may hold down the fort for a while...but he may also never re enter the colony as he slowly becomes less and less apart of it. More likely he will get nailed every time he leaves his bunker and in turn eat less and then just end up dyeing from stress etc.

Now if you take that above scenario and put it with very few fish...or in a big spread out tank...or both. Its even worse.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Quote:
Ethology goes out the window when fish are in a glass cage.

Hey, you're the one who said my 450 was too small for my fish. Pick what you wanna gripe about and stick with it. BTW, if I had the fish the OP has, I'd have no problem sticking them in a 180.
No, I don't recall saying that. I do although remember saying that fish of this size and aggression would do just as good in an even larger tank. Like "Long and Wide"...

Quote:
He's not a sponsor here, so his name can't be mentioned apparently.
Oh gotcha. Yeah, free advertisement not fair to the actual sponsors on this site. So I understand that completely. Nothings free.

Quote:
IMO hiding places sometimes encourage a fish to get singled out. He may get nipped once and then goes to hide. he then is easy to spot...easy to keep up with. He no longer is one amongst many. His weakness is easy to pick out. Sure he may hold down the fort for a while...but he may also never re enter the colony as he slowly becomes less and less apart of it. More likely he will get nailed every time he leaves his bunker and in turn eat less and then just end up dyeing from stress etc.

Now if you take that above scenario and put it with very few fish...or in a big spread out tank...or both. Its even worse.
Hiding spots in a Small Environment is the culprit. Not Hiding Spots.

I don't think that you guys are seeing the magnitude of my suggesting of a GIANT Tank. I'm not saying that you "have to" use one like this. I'm merely making a point that a 2500 gallon tank would be better than a 180 gallon tank for these fish. Technically speaking.

Yes a 180 gallon tank will do. But you need all that extra flow and equipment to compensate for the lack of square footage... That's just a plain fact.

And I'm told that I speaking without experience but it doesn't take much critical thinking to understand this. IMO at least. No offense to those that believe otherwise. But on the same note that I supposedly can't speak from experience, the same goes for those that haven't tried putting These fish in a 2500 Gallon tank.