Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Breeding

Notices

Petrochromis Breeding Discussion of Petrochromis breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:46 PM
dogger99

::Profile::
question petrochromis bulu point breeding age/size

I just picked up some petrochromis bulu point they are about one year old…just wondering when they start to breed??? thanks for your help…
Old 08-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Toneloc

Keeping: Red bulu and siyeswe Moshi

How big are the fish?? I just picked up 6 f1 red bulu that are just over a year old. The male is about 6inch and actually saw him doing the dance right before I picked him up. To answer your question I'm thinking maybe 6 more months.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 AM
DireWolf

Keeping: Petro sp. Red Bulu F1, Famula Orange Fin Kigoma WC

Here is an old thread that would be nice to get some more responses from those that have bred f1 raised from fry, or knew the approximate age when they started to breed.

Also, would males need to be older to be mature enough? My understanding is frontosa males need to be approx 4 years and females 2 years.

So, I wonder what the age of Petros need to be to be mature to successfully breed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:04 AM
Dww-law

My f1 females are a little over 3 years old. They have bred. However, they have not yet successfully held fry past day 2. Not very many people I know have consistently bred f1 red Bulus yet. They seem to be more difficult than other petros. Search the forum as there have been several strings about red bulu breeding.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:15 AM
Dww-law

I posted this. Little while ago

I have consistently bred all variants of trophs, Petros, and Fronts. Breeding the Petro Red Bulu has proven to be the most difficult. I started trying to breed in late 2009 and early 2010. I am just now starting to produce fry. This is not the catch all for breeding but it is what now works for me. Here is what I have learned over the last three years.

1. Red Bulus are extremely expensive. Still the most costly from the lake. Some of us have invested 5 or 10 grand in breeding groups. F1 fry is also expensive. Uninformed buyers crack me up when they offer $30 per fry. Isn’t going to happen given the difficulty of breeding f1’s and the substantial cost of WC’s.
2. Out of every Petro I have owned, Red Bulus breed less frequently.
3. F1's take many years to successfully breed and hold fry. I have females that are over three years and still have not held past day 2.
4. WC's are your best bet for a consistent breeding program unless you have years of patience in you.
5. Red Bulus like to be the only fish in the tank. Dither fish (whether other petros or trophs) only interfere with breeding.
6. Red Bulus are aggressive. You can’t just keep a few. You must crowd them just like other Petros.
7. Red Bulus like 6-foot tanks. I had mine in a much larger tank and they would not breed for whatever reason.
8. Red Bulus like once a week massive water changes (50%) rather than frequent smaller changes.
9. Red Bulus like pristine water (Over filtration is a must).
10. Red Bulus conceal they are holding better than any fish I have ever owned. Sometimes I do not know they are holding.
11. Red Bulus like more protein (They love krill and tolerate it well).
12. Red Bulus like to interact with you. They are curious and will eat krill from your hand.
13. Caves are not necessary. I now only keep two small rock piles in my tank. The alpha male stays near the right one and chases everyone else away.
14. Females are just as mean as males.
15. You can tell when breeding is going to occur. The females vent goes down and the male starts chasing relentlessly. Breeding will take place within 24 hours. Don’t feed during this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dww-law For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (04-03-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 01:16 AM
Toneloc

Keeping: Red bulu and siyeswe Moshi

From my experience The only time my females have spawned is when I picked up a wc male from don(dww-law). All have spawned more than 3 times with no luck except for one female who produced 11 fry for me.... Seems like they need to mature up longer than other petros, and the reason why we don't see so many frys available for sale.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:20 PM
DireWolf

Keeping: Petro sp. Red Bulu F1, Famula Orange Fin Kigoma WC

Hey Don,

Thanks a lot for your open information. I am a long long way from breeding, but really do appreciate all the advice you share on the forum.

One more quick question. I am not a fan of the freeze dried as it has to be soaked for some time and chunks still manage to float on the surface.

Do you feed freeze dried or frozen krill, and how often per week?

Thanks again for your knowledge.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM
Dww-law

I use freeze dried because it's cheaper but frozen is good also. I just take the freeze dried krill, add water and put it in the microwave (Just like cup a soup). I feed krill a few times a week.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 PM
Geraldm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogger99 View Post
I just picked up some petrochromis bulu point they are about one year old…just wondering when they start to breed??? thanks for your help…
I have some f1 red bulus that are starting to breed. I recently stripped a female and got around 6 fry. The male is a wc male so technically they are f1 still. They are between 1 and a half to two years old. I have grown them up from tiny fry less then one inch. They have bred before I just never got fry from them. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldm For This Useful Post:
waterdog (04-01-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 AM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldm View Post
I have some f1 red bulus that are starting to breed. I recently stripped a female and got around 6 fry. The male is a wc male so technically they are f1 still. They are between 1 and a half to two years old. I have grown them up from tiny fry less then one inch. They have bred before I just never got fry from them. Hope this helps.
Yep. I would have to call them F1a as F1 would have both WC parents. F1b would be from WC/F2. F1C would be from WC/F3... I started a thread about this with Tropheus on trophs.com a couple of years ago. Got good feedback.