Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Petrochromis Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Petrochromis diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:57 AM
Mastiffman
Banned

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile
Default 11 WC Petrochromis "Moshi"

Got these from LAA.

Lost one the first night while acclimating. Not sure why. Only had a tiny bit of nipped up fins, but no loss of scales or anything. Long story short, it was replaced and I purchase two more for 11 total.

So far they seem to be doing fine, Except... I'm having a hard time getting them all to eat anything other thawed frozen krill.

I had to pull one male as he got boney thin for the lack of eating and being chased constantly. So I put him by himself in a 40g breeder and he's gained a bit of weight back but still is a picky eater. I'll be keeping him in there until I put other fish with them.

The two other males are fat pigs. They will graze like normal Petros or Tropheus. They are not aggressive towards one another at this point.

Any suggestion on getting these others to eat better. Could be because of the two males? How much krill can they safely be fed without issues.

Video:
Old 07-29-2015, 12:00 PM
stewartj22

nice looking group.
The Following User Says Thank You to stewartj22 For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 01:33 PM
finadic

Have you tried any type flake food which would be evenly dispersed throughout the tank in small portions, such as a spirulina flake, or a Krill, plankton, spirulina combination flake from Kens occasionally as it is high in protein or any type of NLS pellets?
Petrochromis have an extremely long digestive track and have a hard time processing any type of meat which is not recommended at all, as they are herbivores, I would also recommend removing the Tretocephalus as they are quite aggressive.
Sometimes not eating could also be some type of internal parasite which might also need to be addressed if this continues that you might need to treat for a week at 82 degree with salt, heat, and metronidazole flake, and the metro pellets from Rocky Mountian discus always does the trick. Hope this helps. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to finadic For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 01:43 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Thanks to you both.

Yes, they eat flakes a little bit and I was able to treat them with a weeks worth of metro flakes. Not sure if they ate enough of to get the appropriate dose though.

I've tried 3 types of Spirulina flake, 4 types of pellets and they Attack krill with a vengeance! I do realize their physiology and GI needs and they have done fine with the krill but I don't want to continue feeding them only krill... I'm not a big fan of NLS as it seems to put a red haze on everything over time and causes a mess in the filters in the same way. But I could try it as if they will eat then good.

They do fine with Tretacephelus and make their size known to them. Otherwise the Trets don't both them unless they try getting to close to them. Then they just give a flare up of the gills and wait for them to pass by. There's no stress caused by them. Maybe I will slowly bump the temps up over a couple of weeks and see that increases their appetite for more foods?
Old 07-29-2015, 02:02 PM
finadic

About 78 degree should work now, but if you decide to treat with the above recommendation for a week and increase the temperature don't forget to include General Cure powder for your regiment along with the metro pellets, & flake.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Well I guess they were already treated with Parasite Guard and Nitrofuracin Green.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:31 PM
finadic

Default Fish niot eating

Hope it works for you. Nice colony!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Thanks. I may hit them again with parasite guard. I don't think that one treatment is enough, personally.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:50 PM
darthvader4bwu

Beautiful looking Moshi try making some shrimp mix with some of the krill mixed in.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:03 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Thanks, I'll give that a try Ray.