Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Video Discussion

Notices

Petrochromis Video Discussion Discuss and share your Petrochromis videos.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:54 PM
NestoJr

::Profile::
Default Petros in our Malawi tank

Just thought I'd share my youtube channel with you all as I've recently been recording vids of our tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/n3st0jr

A little background, the wife and I started fishkeeping at the end of 2011. It all started with a "goldfish"/feeder fish won by a friend at a carnival and given to us. Barney didn't live very long. We learned and learned and learned and after enjoying all sorts of your typical tropical fish, we made the move to african cichlids in Sept. 2012 with the intention of an all-male show tank. A few months later in December, I added 4 male Red Bulus (thanks Justin!). Not sure if we'll get more petros in the near future as good deals are snatched up in the blink of an eye. Plus, I'm still happily searching for more Malawi guys (Fossos and Borleyi coming up!) and I gotta setup the 135 thats been sitting for almost 2 months now.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 AM
geost
Site Advisor

Nice tank.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:12 AM
stef

Keeping: moshi, red bulu, macro red rainbow , macro namansi

if it works fine ( but it will never as all fish you keep have different needs on food and tank setup ) my personal opinon without wanting to offend you or anything like that ...i hate and can't stand tanks like that and think they are a shame on our hobby - this is a perfect example on how to not set up a fish tank ... sorry mate "big thumps down" from me !!! Choose one lake and choose fish which have same needs !! Again please dont take it personal i dont want offend just help !

cheers steffen
Old 01-19-2013, 04:01 AM
damba
Site Advisor

Keeping: famula sanagala - famula tembwe - bulu point texas - ployodon chinga - trewevassae - kasumbe halembe

Agree with the differing food requirements which could cause the bulus problems.
Having said that it looks great.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
twitter @pevenseytom

www.dambacichlids.com
Old 01-19-2013, 04:24 AM
stef

its not just the bulus its the mbunas too - colorwise sure thing its nice but fish will look either deformed and fat or skinny soon/starting to look already in my opinion .... and eventually pass ... by adding large number of females to the mbunas for example and feeding mainly green food you might get this thing to work ..as the predators etc can feed up of the fry ...but i still dont think that this is the way to go and will work in the long term.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 AM
damba
Site Advisor

Keeping: famula sanagala - famula tembwe - bulu point texas - ployodon chinga - trewevassae - kasumbe halembe

Really this sadly good advice. I dont think it will work long term. Mbuba and Petro are ok but not haps.

I live in Eastbourne - the sunniest place in Britain. That isn't really saying much...
twitter @pevenseytom

www.dambacichlids.com
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 AM
stef

agree !
Old 01-19-2013, 02:12 PM
NestoJr

Thanks George =]

Well, our mindset likes variety and doesn't gravitate towards biotope-style setups. That said, I'm well aware of the differing requirements and I'm sure theres plenty of purists who dislike it but to each his/her own. I expected this response as I've experienced from hours upon hours of reading fish forums... some fish people are quite passionate about their ideas and how a tank should be and how an aquarist should also be. But hey, thats why we all have our own tanks.

They all eat good stuff I believe. NLS, Dainichi, Omega One, high-quality flake from various sources. The Bulus weren't meant for this tank, its just where they are right now as well as about a dozen (or 2 dozen) others who will be moving out eventually. We'll have a Tang tank with Tropheus and maybe some Eretmodus cyanostictus and some other tanks. This tank is also ever-changing, in 6 months it could look completely different. In the end, you do what makes you happy. This tank is for the wife and I, if it pleases others, great! If not, oh well !
Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 AM
ThatBuluThatYouDo

Its definitely an active tank.

What size is it? Any aggression issue between the Bulu and any of the other fish?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Tx2112

Nice Tank, what ever floats your boat!