Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Breeding

Notices

Petrochromis Breeding Discussion of Petrochromis breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Geraldm

::Profile::

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Yep. I would have to call them F1a as F1 would have both WC parents. F1b would be from WC/F2. F1C would be from WC/F3... I started a thread about this with Tropheus on trophs.com a couple of years ago. Got good feedback.
I hear you lol but I still consider WC male and f1 female an f1. What would a wc parent breeding with a f1 offspring of their own make?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldm View Post
I hear you lol but I still consider WC male and f1 female an f1. What would a wc parent breeding with a f1 offspring of their own make?

A Bad choice for someone wanting to keep a large gene pool!? There's not really a whole lot of selective breeding going on in the Fish Breeding industry. At least not to my knowledge. Some claim that they do and that's fine. It would be different if we were dealing with man made fish. But that's not the case.

On Paper it would still be F1a... but we don't use paper in this hobby in that manner.

Shouldn't happen to often. I could Technically breed two of the Mastiffs that I have currently with one another even though they are half brother and sister. This would Lock in and double up on the traits that I want. But it would do the same for the undesireable traits that hey have has well, as limited as they may be. But that's not something that I'm willing to do this early in the game with them.

Line Breeding can be good at producing Very Consistent animals IF don'e properly. And that all comes down to the person making the decisions. They must know the proper traits to choose in both the male and female and make sure that those traits are chosen for the right reasons.

We are dealing with fish that were techniclly created by the hand of God (through whatever process although I have my own beliefs. ) and not by the choices of selfish mankind. Just a simple fact. So theres not really any need to be anymore selective other than not breeding to decrease the gene pool. I beleive that it's okay for others to choose to breed m/fm from the same parents. But what they must keep in mind is that IF they continue to do this, undesired mutations Will Inevitably start popping up and become more frequent. So it's not a good practice. I don't recommend it.

It is, although, a good idea to purchase a colony of fish as fry and raise them to the point that they can be sexed and either get rid of the males and purchase WC males or at least males from a Totally Different Region that has lines from WC parent not directly related to your females. OR start with 2 colonies from Totally different bloodlines from the beginning and simply swap out the males and keep or sell...
Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Dww-law

I have always believed having the most diverse gene pool possible. Any f1s I have bought and raised, I have always gotten rid of the males and kept the females. I then get males from another source to add to the gene pool. Over the years this has cost me more money but I really enjoy the challenge of breeding. Because of this, I am meticulous in selecting breeders to ensure no brother/sister, father/daughter, etc inter-breed. Very exciting stuff.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dww-law View Post
I have always believed having the most diverse gene pool possible. Any f1s I have bought and raised, I have always gotten rid of the males and kept the females. I then get males from another source to add to the gene pool. Over the years this has cost me more money but I really enjoy the challenge of breeding. Because of this, I am meticulous in selecting breeders to ensure no brother/sister, father/daughter, etc inter-breed. Very exciting stuff.

I agree and remember some nice chimming in that you've done on other threads in the past.

Always enjoy your input Don!

Have you ever tried Selectively Breeding Each Individual Tropheus in a Colony For Breeding. To have the Best representation of the Species?

This would be a time consuming but very Exciting way to Breed. I always hear stories about how German lines are bred and how they supposedly Selectively Pick each Specimen from a species to be in an "Elite" Spawning Colony to produce the best looking and most colorful (more the later) Fry. But I've never been quite sure if they Only do this for WC Parents or are they Linebreeding past Selectively bred fry back into new but also hand picked WC trophs...

Interesting either way but not sure if that's producing proper fry.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 PM
teethdecay

Default gene pool

You don't need a large gene pool if you have just one colony. You can have all f1 females and 1 wild male and there's your diversity. If you make the argument that different females increases gene pool, true, but most likely it's the same male that spawned with them all, and if I'm buying f1s for sure I'm culling the males out and replacing with either another wild male or another sourced f1 male.

Also anyone wanting some f1 bulu fry I have 4 left, and probably will have 50 more by next month.