Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Talk

Notices

Petrochromis Talk General Petrochromis Discussion.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 PM
tommy

::Profile::
Keeping: wc sp . red bulu point , polyodon " kambwimba " . ortognathus mvuna tricolor . kipili " red mask "
Default red fin " longola "

hi all just wonderd if any longola keepers could give me any advice ? at the moment just waiting on a shipment to come to the uk and was thinking of adding a group of about 6 maybe more to an established 7ft tank consisting of polyodon , kipili and orthognathus . just wondering about the aggression and general advice if poss thanx
Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 AM
gonefishin

Keeping: P. bulu, moshi, trewavasae, macro rainbow T. Malasa island, duboisi maswa, golden kasumba, namansi

You need a quarantine tank to put the in or the old fish will stress out the new fish.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:26 PM
tommy

Keeping: wc sp . red bulu point , polyodon " kambwimba " . ortognathus mvuna tricolor . kipili " red mask "

gonefishin hi pal thanx for the reply , fish will be quarentined for 3-4 weeks before i take reciept of them . just pre-empting trouble i think so im guna stop flapping about it just hope they settle in ok on all the fish ! are they really that aggressive ?
Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Stav

Keeping: Orthognathus Tri-Color "Mvuna"

How many are you getting Tom? I have a pair left of their close cousins "Texas Ubwari". I started with 1m4f The male has also killed my dominant Simochromis Diagramma who was twice the size of him. Mine were bought as German F1's which are supposed to be pussy cats compared to wc. Good Luck with them anyway and hopefully you'll get them spawning in no time.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 PM
swk

Mine are REALLY well behaved, but I have 19 of them which helps alot and they're f1s. They should be no worse than the others that you currently keep. Are you receiving more than one male? If there's only 2 males, then you may have a problem...
Old 09-24-2011, 12:54 PM
tommy

stav / swk thanx ill hav enough for 6 maybe a couple more when the time comes . not sure amount and ratio that are being brought in so not sure on how many males but would probably go 1/1 ratio if possible as like you guys say would be better than two males . one of my favs i would love to get some young from them , i had my first two bulu's spawn for me this week but the fist female ate hers but the second fem spawned yesterday and looks good but she has had a bit of rough treatment today so fingers crossed
Old 09-24-2011, 01:18 PM
tattieboggle

Keeping: trewavase,polydon"chinga",texas mibillibili, moshi mibillibili, kasumbe helembe, polydon nyanza-lac,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
stav / swk thanx ill hav enough for 6 maybe a couple more when the time comes . not sure amount and ratio that are being brought in so not sure on how many males but would probably go 1/1 ratio if possible as like you guys say would be better than two males . one of my favs i would love to get some young from them , i had my first two bulu's spawn for me this week but the fist female ate hers but the second fem spawned yesterday and looks good but she has had a bit of rough treatment today so fingers crossed
Hi Tom well done again on the reds. How do the female kambwimba compare to female longola? I know when Mike had them in before he said that he could hardly tell the females apart from the chingas I bought it might be the same with your kambwimbas with them all being polydons there might be a risk of crossbreeding. Longolas are one of my favourites also just need to get the fishhouse set up again as running out of tankspace
Old 09-24-2011, 01:32 PM
tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattieboggle View Post
Hi Tom well done again on the reds. How do the female kambwimba compare to female longola? I know when Mike had them in before he said that he could hardly tell the females apart from the chingas I bought it might be the same with your kambwimbas with them all being polydons there might be a risk of crossbreeding. Longolas are one of my favourites also just need to get the fishhouse set up again as running out of tankspace
thanx doug dya know what mate your right by the look the females do look very very simular from the pics ive seen , they would only be in there a short while so whont be long term so i think ( hope ) should be ok . good to hear your setting up again bud petro heaven