Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Talk

Notices

Petrochromis Talk General Petrochromis Discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Dww-law's Avatar
Dww-law
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 474
Images: 86
Thanks: 2
Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
Default New Petro Sp. Red Group

Picked up my new Petro Red Group today at the airport. I bout six females and three smaller males. My first impression out of the bag. The females definately have a red/pink color rather than orange. The mask has a slight blue hue to it. The males are slightly reder than bulu males of the same size I have observed. However, they are only about six inches so it is hard to tell. I am comparing them to the Alpha in my Bulu group and he is pretty red. A few females are of breeding age and based on the size of their vent it is clear to me they have bred. One female is pretty small and I can tell she has not yet bred. Since the males are fairly small I would guess they are not yet of breeding age. I will shoot a video next week. The Bulus came from Turon at AGA. Thanks Turon.
Don
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dww-law For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 06-27-2013, 03:28 AM
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Banned
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The HAND of USA
Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile
Posts: 522
Thanks: 76
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dww-law View Post
Picked up my new Petro Red Group today at the airport. I bout six females and three smaller males. My first impression out of the bag. The females definately have a red/pink color rather than orange. The mask has a slight blue hue to it. The males are slightly reder than bulu males of the same size I have observed. However, they are only about six inches so it is hard to tell. I am comparing them to the Alpha in my Bulu group and he is pretty red. A few females are of breeding age and based on the size of their vent it is clear to me they have bred. One female is pretty small and I can tell she has not yet bred. Since the males are fairly small I would guess they are not yet of breeding age. I will shoot a video next week. The Bulus came from Turon at AGA. Thanks Turon.
Don

Congrats Don! You ole Lucky dog!

So these are the same Species then?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Dww-law's Avatar
Dww-law
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 474
Images: 86
Thanks: 2
Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
Default

The females look slightly different. More pink. The males look the same. However, I am comparing them to my 10 inch alpha who is a fully mature male that is very red. As the males develop they are suppose to get deeper red. I don't think the species is different just a little different variant.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Banned
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The HAND of USA
Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile
Posts: 522
Thanks: 76
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dww-law View Post
The females look slightly different. More pink. The males look the same. However, I am comparing them to my 10 inch alpha who is a fully mature male that is very red. As the males develop they are suppose to get deeper red. I don't think the species is different just a little different variant.

Don

Gotcha. Will be cool to see them develop. Thanks for sharing Sir!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Dww-law's Avatar
Dww-law
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 474
Images: 86
Thanks: 2
Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Mahale females 4.5-5 inches. Slightly pinker.


Mahale Male about 6 inches. More blue in the mask. Thge other two males are smaller.


Compare them to my 10 inch new alpha:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Mastiffman
Status: Offline
Banned
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The HAND of USA
Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile
Posts: 522
Thanks: 76
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dww-law View Post
Mahale females 4.5-5 inches. Slightly pinker.


Mahale Male about 6 inches. More blue in the mask. Thge other two males are smaller.


Compare them to my 10 inch new alpha:
WOW Don! Still very nice and not bad for the age and size difference. You gotta be lovin that tank even more now.

how did the introduction go? Obviously well but any interesting behavior to share?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Dww-law's Avatar
Dww-law
Status: Offline
Member
 
::Profile::
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 474
Images: 86
Thanks: 2
Thanked 63 Times in 44 Posts
Default

The fish were treated and quarantined for 10 days so no illness issues. I have no rocks in the 265 because I just moved the group from a 220. I just threw the new group in. There was enough new ones so there was no problems. The new group is much smaller in size so they were adopted into the larger group without any issues. All eat like pigs. My Alpha has been trying to spawn all day with a few of my large females. Tubes are down but no egg laying yet. I will start adding rocks in a few days. I am going to video the next water change (Next Tuesday) so people can see how the new Alpha gets very bright.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
group, red

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question: What group to add to Trewavasae? alzo.bg Petrochromis Talk 4 03-08-2013 01:17 PM
group of reds, most from geost cypho23 Petrochromis Photo Discussion 4 10-08-2012 11:31 PM
Debate: Group Stability tattieboggle Petrochromis Disease, Health and Nutrition 19 08-11-2012 12:09 AM
vid of my group of reds cypho23 Petrochromis Video Discussion 9 10-02-2011 02:02 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.