Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Talk

Notices

Petrochromis Talk General Petrochromis Discussion.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Dww-law

::Profile::
Default New Petro Sp. Red Group

Picked up my new Petro Red Group today at the airport. I bout six females and three smaller males. My first impression out of the bag. The females definately have a red/pink color rather than orange. The mask has a slight blue hue to it. The males are slightly reder than bulu males of the same size I have observed. However, they are only about six inches so it is hard to tell. I am comparing them to the Alpha in my Bulu group and he is pretty red. A few females are of breeding age and based on the size of their vent it is clear to me they have bred. One female is pretty small and I can tell she has not yet bred. Since the males are fairly small I would guess they are not yet of breeding age. I will shoot a video next week. The Bulus came from Turon at AGA. Thanks Turon.
Don
The Following User Says Thank You to Dww-law For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2013, 03:28 AM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dww-law View Post
Picked up my new Petro Red Group today at the airport. I bout six females and three smaller males. My first impression out of the bag. The females definately have a red/pink color rather than orange. The mask has a slight blue hue to it. The males are slightly reder than bulu males of the same size I have observed. However, they are only about six inches so it is hard to tell. I am comparing them to the Alpha in my Bulu group and he is pretty red. A few females are of breeding age and based on the size of their vent it is clear to me they have bred. One female is pretty small and I can tell she has not yet bred. Since the males are fairly small I would guess they are not yet of breeding age. I will shoot a video next week. The Bulus came from Turon at AGA. Thanks Turon.
Don

Congrats Don! You ole Lucky dog!

So these are the same Species then?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Dww-law

The females look slightly different. More pink. The males look the same. However, I am comparing them to my 10 inch alpha who is a fully mature male that is very red. As the males develop they are suppose to get deeper red. I don't think the species is different just a little different variant.

Don
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
The females look slightly different. More pink. The males look the same. However, I am comparing them to my 10 inch alpha who is a fully mature male that is very red. As the males develop they are suppose to get deeper red. I don't think the species is different just a little different variant.

Don

Gotcha. Will be cool to see them develop. Thanks for sharing Sir!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Dww-law

Mahale females 4.5-5 inches. Slightly pinker.

Mahale Male about 6 inches. More blue in the mask. Thge other two males are smaller.

Compare them to my 10 inch new alpha:
Old 06-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Quote:
Mahale females 4.5-5 inches. Slightly pinker.

Mahale Male about 6 inches. More blue in the mask. Thge other two males are smaller.

Compare them to my 10 inch new alpha:
WOW Don! Still very nice and not bad for the age and size difference. You gotta be lovin that tank even more now.

how did the introduction go? Obviously well but any interesting behavior to share?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Dww-law

The fish were treated and quarantined for 10 days so no illness issues. I have no rocks in the 265 because I just moved the group from a 220. I just threw the new group in. There was enough new ones so there was no problems. The new group is much smaller in size so they were adopted into the larger group without any issues. All eat like pigs. My Alpha has been trying to spawn all day with a few of my large females. Tubes are down but no egg laying yet. I will start adding rocks in a few days. I am going to video the next water change (Next Tuesday) so people can see how the new Alpha gets very bright.