Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Disease, Health and Nutrition

Notices

Petrochromis Disease, Health and Nutrition Discussion of Petrochromis diseases, health and nutrition.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM
tattieboggle

::Profile::
Keeping: trewavase,polydon"chinga",texas mibillibili, moshi mibillibili, kasumbe helembe, polydon nyanza-lac,
Default Group Stability

Hi guys
I thought I would start a pol/debate about your experiences in keeping Petrochromis as a happy, harmonious and breeding group with NO interference from yourselves and no murders? I kept a group of 14 trewavase for 8 years with only one instance where I had to remove a beat up male, I never put him back and the group lived in harmony thereafter. My Chinga have lived together for 2 years but in that time the male has thinned out the competition and now they seam to live happily. But my group of Kasumbe are right headbangers I can get them to live together for a max of 6 months and then if not before all hell will break loose unless I move the decor around and disrupt the tanks surroundings. It will be intresting to get the feedback on this topic as we tend to post when things go great but when we get problems as all petro keepers get we bury our heads in our hands and say very little about it. I suspect some like the giants have never been kept for long in a stable group it would be good to hear different. All my petros are kept in big groups in busy tanks with other groups of petros/trophs

Doug
Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 AM
damba
Site Advisor

Keeping: famula sanagala - famula tembwe - bulu point texas - ployodon chinga - trewevassae - kasumbe halembe

Doug so far mine are doing well. I only have 6 famula sangala but they are in with 14 bulus texas and 3 kasumbe. I suspect they would have annihilated each other if not.
The chinga I thought were good until the big male killed the second biggest male... Tembwe do fine and are very mellow and the trews are fine but they all luve un very busy tanks with trophs and some mbuna. I will be interested to watch the group dynamic over a period.
Tom

Cymru am byth. Rydw i'n mewn cichlids nhw hi'n drud iawn.

www.dambacichlids.com
Old 07-25-2012, 04:49 PM
tommy

Keeping: wc sp . red bulu point , polyodon " kambwimba " . ortognathus mvuna tricolor . kipili " red mask "

ive had bad experiances with a couple of groups of mine wich like doug said people bury there heads when things dont go to plan , including myself . my polyodon and longola numbers have pretty much halved from there original group size , both groups i bought ended up being rather male heavy wich wasnt what i was told when i bought them unfortunatley and i fi had of known i would of thinned the males out . i doubted myself for a long time and wonderd if i was going to continue to keep petros but ill be honest i dont think ill ever keep anything else as i would never be able to give them up . on the flip side ive managed to breed all my petros except the kipili male and female i bought but hopefully one day im trying my hardest to finish my garage off this summer to get some huge tanks in for some more beasties . thanx to doug aswell who is the most excperinced petro keeper in the uk who helped me alot when first dipping my toe in cheers mate
Old 07-25-2012, 06:34 PM
timber317

Keeping: Trew,Moshi,Red Bulu

Depends on how crowded you have the tank and the decor. If you put enough targets in there , as in fish, this seems to help things so far at least for me. I only add fish when I do water changes and if I still have problems I take out all the rocks so no one is defending any territory.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Stav

Keeping: Orthognathus Tri-Color "Mvuna"

Well upto now I havent had the best of luck with long term stability, my first Petros were Tri-Colors which on reflection I probably didnt have a big enough group. My Ubwari was a group of 1m5f, thought that would go down well but as he matured and got interested in the females, foreplay was beat the s$$t out of her then try to do the deed. Gradually 6 became 1 no matter how many decor changes or time outs I tried. My Kazumbe at the minute seem like lambs, currently being kept in there place by the larger male Ubwari. (Lets see if there still lambs in six months)

Finally after a lot of ups and downs I managed to get 20 F1 Orthognathus Tri-Color "Mvuna" which I'm growing on. Fingers crossed I'll finish up with a stable group.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM
discman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav View Post
Well upto now I havent had the best of luck with long term stability, my first Petros were Tri-Colors which on reflection I probably didnt have a big enough group. My Ubwari was a group of 1m5f, thought that would go down well but as he matured and got interested in the females, foreplay was beat the s$$t out of her then try to do the deed. Gradually 6 became 1 no matter how many decor changes or time outs I tried. My Kazumbe at the minute seem like lambs, currently being kept in there place by the larger male Ubwari. (Lets see if there still lambs in six months)

Finally after a lot of ups and downs I managed to get 20 F1 Orthognathus Tri-Color "Mvuna" which I'm growing on. Fingers crossed I'll finish up with a stable group.

I know this is not a secret but I have had almost no problems with any petros I have kept provided the group was large enough. Heard horror stories about Reds and Moshi but I never had so much as a torn fin with either group. Of course both groups numbered over 20. Crowding is the key.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 PM
flounder

Default petro maheiem

i have a group of 11 f1 kazumbe halembe.....they are by far more aggressive then anything ive kept...5m and 6 females seems to be workin...also have 25 redeye ikola and 10 juvie macros...i know if i thinned out tank ther would be murder...kazumbes chase everybody in tank..crowding them is the key for me as this is true for most petro keepers......
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 AM
LittleAfricaAquatics.com
Petrochromis.com Owner and Founding Site Sponsor

Keeping: A lot

My group of Bulus have been together for 4yrs only had to remove one male over that time, my Nkondwe are fine, it comes down to group size and the type. As a direct importer I see them all at one time or another and I can tell you now Kazumbe are one of the worst, just mean. I have a bunch of wilds with moshi and others in a 125g and no problems but its crowded. When I had just the Kazumbe by themselves they were all over each other then put them with wild Zaire fronts due to a space issus have kept fronts with petros before no problem, well the Kazumbe killed 4 before I knew it so now moved them with the other nasty-moshi and their fine, just packed in tight.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:58 AM
swk

IMO, bottom line is that it's a numbers game. Most people would never dream of buying 2 pairs of tropheus, yet you hear of people buying tiny groups of petros all the time. Can it be done? Can they be managed? Yes, but it takes far more babysitting than its worth IMO.

Keep them in groups as large as you can afford, minimum of 12-15 and you will not have problems. I have a group of LARGE f1 longola, 8-12 inches, that are robust, mature fish and I have never even had one torn fin. Now, I know that f1 are less aggressive, but they're still aggressive, bold, breeding fish. I've had f1 fish kill too....my secret??? I have 19 of them and 8 are males. It's an incredible looking tank that I don't have to stress out over, even when they're spawning and females are holding.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 AM
leemaes

Keeping: moshi yellow siyeswe, red bulu point, macrognathus kachese

A few months ago I bought a wild group of petrochromis moshi yellow siyeswe.
A had then allready 8 red bulu points and 12 macrognathus kachese. But those 2 are half grown. In Europe they say you have to put your tank full with stones.
So I did. Result: after 5 weeks 1 female dead. And very aggressive behaviour.
I changed the tank and got the stones out. Just I left a few on the sand. Now it's harmony.
I think it depends on the group. Not every group is the same.
Like people, not every people can live with every people.