Home Forum Articles Sponsors Affiliates CP Map Chat FAQ TOS
Go Back   Petrochromis.com > Petrochromis Forums > Petrochromis Tanks & Equipment

Notices

Petrochromis Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Petrochromis tanks, filters, heaters, powerheads, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 PM
SunnyHouTX

::Profile::

No, it's because there seems to be a short in your logic circuit when you type out your posts and it feels like my circuits are also gonna fry trying to read them.

210 gal Petro. Trewavasae
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 PM
SunnyHouTX

If you really want to read about my personal experiences, read about them in the Houston Fish Box. I don't have the time to sit down and rehash past experiences on every forum I'm a member of because I have better things to do, it's easier to post things as they happen.

210 gal Petro. Trewavasae
Old 05-17-2013, 08:16 PM
waterdog

Keeping: red bulu point,moshi mahale, famula chimba& sangala,fasciolatus nkondwe yellow,

I have to agree on the part that it would be a much more interesting forum if there were a little more participation. That has been the major reason I personally have been trying a little too hard to help.
Guess it would be better if I was better at posting pictures. I suppose there is one thing we can all agree on, petros are great fish!
Cbalmansoo (05-18-2013), Mastiffman (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 AM
Stav

Keeping: Orthognathus Tri-Color "Mvuna"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
Hey Gang.

Good day to everyone.

Was curioous if a 4x2ft 110 gallon Would suffice for a while comfortably for 2m/7fm Trewavesaes? I currently have them in a 180g with 41 WC Trophs and would move them all together. Possibly even keeping my Current male in the 180g for a few days so that the smaller male could feel more confident when I put the Current Male in the tank.

Or do you think that it would be better to add the next group of 6 into the 180g with the rest until I can find a 6Ft tank for this group of 9 Trews?

Any input will be appreciated either way.

Andrew C.
Ok, yes you could put the 2m7f trews in a 4x2 tank. But why would you? Did you/Would you stock your Tropheus the same way? Leaving the Original male in the 180g seems a good idea but by only having 2 males, adding the second one to the firsts territory is plain crazy. You would have more success adding 2 trios rather than 1m5f. I also think 9 Trews in a 6 ft tank is not enough, you wouldn't do it with Tropheus.

If I was you I would stick with the trio you have in with the Troph's, while not the ideal way of keeping Petro's if there temperament is ok they should be fine together. Then buy your next 6ft tank and decide on your stock, then buy them all at once. Yes it is a big outlay but as others have said, it is your best way for success.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stav For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
I have to agree on the part that it would be a much more interesting forum if there were a little more participation. That has been the major reason I personally have been trying a little too hard to help.
Guess it would be better if I was better at posting pictures. I suppose there is one thing we can all agree on, petros are great fish!
This is the way that Trophs is... People are kind and are getting more easy going in the threads and are not so annoyingly overbearing about their knowledge (or lack there of in some cases. -JK). Which makes a Welcoming and productive environment. I have difficulty biting my tongue sometimes on this forum with the overload of "me, me ,me".... But it is what it is... I'm still going to do my pest to recommend more social people here to bring this forum to life as much as trophs.com is. This isn't anyone's forum except the owner and we should all be HAPPY that he was Kind and Concerned enough to Bring it and the oters back to life. So why not make it worth it? Make it the best that it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav View Post
Ok, yes you could put the 2m7f trews in a 4x2 tank. But why would you? Did you/Would you stock your Tropheus the same way? Leaving the Original male in the 180g seems a good idea but by only having 2 males, adding the second one to the firsts territory is plain crazy. You would have more success adding 2 trios rather than 1m5f. I also think 9 Trews in a 6 ft tank is not enough, you wouldn't do it with Tropheus.

If I was you I would stick with the trio you have in with the Troph's, while not the ideal way of keeping Petro's if there temperament is ok they should be fine together. Then buy your next 6ft tank and decide on your stock, then buy them all at once. Yes it is a big outlay but as others have said, it is your best way for success.

Thanks for the reply... I have 19 Adult Chimbas in the tank that I was consider putting these guys in. The Chimbas would go into the other 110g on the second floor. I was under the impression that Stocking is dependant on Size of Fish and Tank...

So in the link that was kindly provided by kwikrob (sorry for the unintentional flaming on trophs! Please forgive me. That ws not my intention.) the chart shows that at 100 -125 gallons it's fine to put 12-15 trews with no mention of 6ft Tank Length. Just a minimum of 5ft being best and larger better.

Okay, I dind't think so on adding the other 6 to the 180g... Didn't sound logical to me either...

Here are the options that I can think of for my sitaution as I don't have another 6fter Ready yet...

1. Add all petros into a possibly rock free 4x2ft 110g at the same time as this would be likle getting them all at the time [to them].
2. Adding them all into my 135g WC Tropheus Bulu Point tank (sizes range between 3"- 4") but would this stop the spawning of the Bulu Point?
3. Moving the Bulu Pionts from the 135g to the 110g and putting the Trews in the 135g all at the same time with some dither fish (I have numerous Neolamp, leleupi that I could use)....

The only thing is that I don't want to stress the Bulu point through moving them.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 PM
waterdog

Keeping: red bulu point,moshi mahale, famula chimba& sangala,fasciolatus nkondwe yellow,

I don't blame you for not actually wanting to move those beautiful cherries, but at the same time that is a better size tank for the trews. Always a tough decision when you have several kinds of fish that all need large tanks. Just be happy you have such decisions to make.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Keeping: WC Trews, WC Moshi WC T. Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Mpulungu, Murago TANZ, Pemba, Ulwile

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
I don't blame you for not actually wanting to move those beautiful cherries, but at the same time that is a better size tank for the trews. Always a tough decision when you have several kinds of fish that all need large tanks. Just be happy you have such decisions to make.

I agree and I do feel REALLY Blessed by God to have the opportunity with all of this stuff. And of course thanks to Greg for the importing!

I'm curious as the size of the new Trews Coming will only be 3"-4"... And my trio is about 4"-5"... And If I'm understanding the link correctly the bigger the tank the more one needs in the colony? I just don't have the money right now for that many as I'm getting more Trophs in the same Shipment.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:18 AM
TroPhish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiffman View Post
I agree and I do feel REALLY Blessed by God to have the opportunity with all of this stuff. And of course thanks to Greg for the importing!

I'm curious as the size of the new Trews Coming will only be 3"-4"... And my trio is about 4"-5"... And If I'm understanding the link correctly the bigger the tank the more one needs in the colony? I just don't have the money right now for that many as I'm getting more Trophs in the same Shipment.

Mastiff, Try to think of it like this.

If a human is crowded...he cant single someone out to take out his aggression on.

To make a human feel crowded you can put them in a big room with a bunch of people.

Or you can put them with less people in a smaller room.

You could also distract his aggression with a bunch of other animals that he is not aggressive towards but are distracting.

Im not speaking form multi decade experience with petros. Keep that in mind.
But with trophs...they like to be crowded. It distributes and distracts aggression.
It seems to be the same with petros. Except Petros seem a bit more unpredictable.

There seems to be some confusion...possibly with the term "disperse aggression". You also seem to like bigish tanks(me too) and lower stocking levels.

When you hear the phrase "disperse aggression"...I dosnt mean spread it out over a large volume of water by spreading out a small number of fish over a large tank.

It means to evenly "distribute" it amongst the other members of the colony. Meaning they need to be on top of each other where they cant lock in on a single fish for any long length of time. No one gets all the beating.

Not all the time...but sometimes if you spread trophs out to much...they will single each other out...get a running start...and nail other fish that they have their aim set on. Some males will go hyper aggressive.

But if you crowd them to where its a swarm, He is like a cheetah chasing a heard of zebras...he cant figure out which one to go for.

For instance. I am keeping a group of 12 trophs in a a 40 breeder...and breed they do.
They were busting each other up in a 75. They were just to spread out for this particular group. I wanted to "tighten them up" so I used the smaller tank to crowd them. I also kept the tank structure minimal (one rock) to reduce territories to fight over. THe male has his little rock to defend and the others have the rest of the tank. They are running like a machine in that tank.

Or "disperse aggression" can mean to distract it with dithers.(not distribute or disperse the aggression amongst the other petros)

The petro wont bother the trophs due to conspecific aggression...but the trophs will distract them and help take some of the heat off the members of the petro colony.

Each group is different. No hard set rules to fish keeping. You have to "read" your group. Albeit that seams that it can be hard with petros.

So yes, if I apply some of this logic to your petros and your situation...and I only had three of them. I would do what you have already done and use dithers( like you've have done with your kasangas). That seems to be doing ok for you.

If I had 9, you could distribute the aggression by crowding them in a tight tank. (the 110gal)

Or you could do a combo of both in the 180 with the kasangas and all 9 or the 110 with some other dither. That is what I would do if you cant afford large numbers of the petros, had a 110, and had some trophs laying around. Might also add some tall stuff to block some lines of site (not that that really works but it does help a little.)

Now with dither fish...they represent a distraction so as to take some heat off the other members of the colony. To be a distraction, they have to be very active and swim in the same part of the water column. They have to be tough and of decent distracting size. Meaning, shell dwellers and stuff like leleupi wont serve as petro dithers very well. Or anything else on the bottom. You cant have pleco dithers! lol

Trophs will work great though because you can stuff a swarm of them in there and they will swim amongst the petros and distract them.

So if it were me, I would crowd them by stuffing the 9 in the 110 and distract them with 20- 30 tropheus dithers with only substrate at first and awesome filtration and insane water flow. Glass splattering waterflow. Make the tank packed and highly active. How bout use your F1 Ikolas as the dithers? Species blacks are perfect because they are rough and tough. Think wu-tang killa bees.

I would put the 6 new ones in there for a day or so so that they don't go through shipping, new tank, and new tank mates all in one shot. They will be underdogs for sure. Put them in there with the 20-30 tropheus and let them get used to being around the trophs and eat a little for a day. Not a month. Don't let them fully settle in. Do a water change and in the confusion, Add your larger established trio. Maybe add some rocks at that time too to make the tank a "new tank" for the 6 that were in there. After they settle for a day or two, Treat the whole tank with tetra parasite guard and feed metro flakes for a week. At least that would be how I would do it.

If they do well after a week or two(they will)...I would then add some more rocks or flower pots, maybe some tall fake plants. Maybe some pvc tubes(that the new guys can get into but the big guys cant) for cover. Once I saw your dom male establish a territory and the group start grooving...I would leave it alone. Keep an eye on them and try to read the group. As they round the corner towards breeding...things could change but I bet they do fine set up as described.

To be honest...I would do what I described in a 75, 90, or a 110.

Sorry that was very long winded. Hope all that makes sense.

And let us know what you decide to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to TroPhish For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Mastiffman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroPhish View Post
Sorry that was very long winded. Hope all that makes sense.

And let us know what you decide to do.
thanks for the reply even as long as it was. Nince see once in a while... SOmeone willing to actually converse... But, Yes, I understand the principle of what "Disperse agression" means.

The Whole point of thinking that the 110 would work was becasue of the notion that a larger tank needs more inhabitants. Just as the link that Kwikrob provided. Which I wont have. Hence the recommendation of adding all of the into the Bulu Points but I wouldn't want that to hinder Spawning. I think being the young age of the Trews, that woudln't be an issue.

From my expereince, packing a bunch of agressive cichlids into a small tank can yield agreesion dispersion but also hinder spawning. As there is always someone to chase off from the spawning site. At This point, that is not really a concern except for maybe the trio. I might try the Ikola Suggestion. I have 13 at this point, although they are a good 5" at this point with only a couple of them at 4.50"-4.75". So that might work well.

And it's not that I can't really afford to get more really. I could but there is really only a limited amount available at this point as other were looking for some from Greg as well and it only seems fair Not to "hoard" as others have implied and are now spoken for. But also I wanted to bring in some other stuff on this shipment. There's only so much per box.

So Anyway, thanks for the input and you have given some common but good advice. So I thank you for that. Don't mind readind either. maybe between us and few others we can start a tradition here on Petrochromis.com!?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 AM
TrophAddict

Im just going to say this, I know sunny personally and not taking his side or anything. But he had over 40 Trews in a 210 and **** went south and lost about 6 if recall correctly, all of this happen when they got ready to breed. So in other words just be prepared that even with a large group stuff can happen, so imagine with a small one. And these fish need 5x the water movement that is a tropheus tank just a little fyi.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrophAddict For This Useful Post:
Mastiffman (05-21-2013)